Two Catholic friends expecting babies within weeks of each other share the similarities and differences in their journeys.

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Change is in the Air - Kathryn


16 Weeks

These days, it seems like everything is changing! From my body, to my emotions and even my outlook on life, it seems that everything is new. I’m not going to talk about body changes, because we all know what happens to a woman’s body in pregnancy. And, to be honest, I haven’t been at all surprised or bothered by any bodily changes… yet.

My relationship with food, however, has changed quite a bit. I was shocked to come to the realization a few days ago the relationship I now have toward food is very different. I now eat to be healthy, for energy and to make sure I’m giving the baby the nutrients he or she needs. I can’t lie - I do often eat to satisfy my cravings too (I SWEAR I’m not abusing the I’m-going-to-get-fat-anyway-so-what’s-the-difference line). But I have no guilt about the occasional indulgence in some Wendy’s fries, a chocolate cupcake or a bowl of ice cream after supper. Before I was pregnant, I was constantly thinking about the amount of calories, fat or sugar in my snacks, wondering how each treat would affect my waistline – and I did it subconsciously! I never realized until I started truly enjoying full, balanced meals without thinking of calories how much I had actually done that. It’s been a welcome change to not have to think of my figure each and every time I eat, but I think about nutrition instead. This has been one of the greatest changes I’ve experienced so far.

Another big change I’ve been experiencing is in my emotions. I’ve never been an emotional girl. Sure, I went through my “woe is me” phase in High School (and it seems like I cried all of my wedding day, which was very out of character for me) but I’ve never been the type to cry in a movie from reading a sad story… until about a month ago. One afternoon I innocently said to husband, “I don’t think I’ve really had any of those pregnancy hormones yet”. That evening, as we settled in to watch a movie, I got my first dose of hormones! At one point during the movie he put his hand on my shin, and I swatted it away because I thought it was too sweaty. So he got up and went to sit on the chair and I IMMEDIATELY burst into tears, sobbing “why don’t you want to sit next to me?!” I haven’t had too may other crazy outbursts since that night, but I do find that I’m much more sensitive now. I cry when I watch commercials with babies, I cry when I watch “A Baby Story” and I cry when I get hit in the head with soccer balls (see my previous post).  I even get emotional over songs on the radio – happy or sad!

I’m not going to say that every change I’ve been going through has been a pleasant experience, but for the most part I’m really happy to be experiencing them. I feel like they’re forcing me to grow up a little and to discover a little bit more about who I am as a woman. Also, I know this is nothing compared to the changes that are coming! I still can’t believe I have already hit 18 weeks and am almost halfway through my pregnancy! Now that my belly is starting to pop, and my nausea has completely dissipated I say wholeheartedly:  “bring on the changes!”
18 Weeks - Belly is starting to pop!

No comments:

Post a Comment