Two Catholic friends expecting babies within weeks of each other share the similarities and differences in their journeys.

Saturday 21 July 2012

Friday Top 5 - July 20th


Sorry it's been so long since our last post. Here's another Friday Top 5 - clothing we can't live without. Another post coming soon!


Kathryn
#1 Dresses and tights – Sundresses (maternity and otherwise) with knee-length tights have been my top outfit of choice from early on. There aren’t many pre-pregnancy clothes I can still fit into, other than my dresses, and the tights make them super comfy and casual.

#2 Bella Band – My Bella Band has made it possible for me to wear my pre-pregnancy jeans and capris comfortably and saved me from buying new ones. Super easy, comfortable and definitely a must have.

#3 Long t-shirts / tank tops – Tight t-shirts are my favourtie. They show off my bump without making my look huge (loose or flowy shirts make me look a lot bigger than I really am).

#4 Maternity Shorts – My mom bought me jean-shorts with a maternity panel in the US. Better than jeans because they keep me cool and fit well (most jeans are too long for me)… and they match everything!

#5 Birkenstocks – Comfortable shoes to walk in which also keep my feet cool in the summer heat. I had to ditch my heels when I started getting back pain a couple months ago, I’m getting a bit too clumsy for flip flops and my flats are getting tight, so Birkenstocks are my new favourite, must-have shoes!

Natasha
#1 - Bella Band!!! I can't believe I went through five pregnancies without this! It makes everything so much more comfortable, and gained me the use of about $500 worth of tops, shorts, pants and skirts that I otherwise would have had to retire loooooong ago!

#2 - Low rise jeans. Not the kind where you can see your bum anytime you crouch down, but the ones that rest just below your belly, so you can wear them even when your belly gets bigger. I have a trusted few pairs of pants I can still close the button on, only because they fit a bit lower than the rest of my pants. And when I'm having a bad day, being able to fit into a pair of non-maternity pants really gives me a boost (even if I do know the real reason why!)

#3 - Maternity dresses. This is one area where I am officially into maternity clothing, and thank goodness. I tried squeezing myself into non-maternity dresses, but they just don't flow right and end up making me look like I'm wearing a tent! Maternity dresses are cut around my belly so they float back in towards my body, not just down from my belly button. Plus they're so breezy and feminine, and perfect for summer.

#4 - Form-fitting clothes. I admit, I drag my feet when it comes to wearing maternity clothes because I love my pregnant belly! I'd rather wear something that puts the spotlight on my belly and doesn't drift away from it, and I feel like more form-fitting clothes do the trick. This is why I love the Bella Band, because it lets me stay in those clothes so much longer, without feeling like my belly is hanging out of the bottom of my shirt. 

#5 - Long tank tops. These are great for layering, and a staple for my summer wardrobe. I discovered recently that I can wear one over my non-maternity bathing suit, and it looks completely beach-worthy. Which is good for me, because I will never be someone who is comfortable in a two-piece with my bare pregnant belly hanging out (I think it's beautiful, but I'm not even comfortable without a cover-up when I'm not pregnant!) The tank top gives me just the right amount of confidence to wear the bathing suits I've always worn.


1 comment: