Two Catholic friends expecting babies within weeks of each other share the similarities and differences in their journeys.

Friday 3 August 2012

Friday Top 5 - Sources of Pregnancy Wisdom

Kathryn:  As a first time mom-to-be, I seek advice and wisdom anywhere I can get it – books, tv, internet, friends, coworkers and even strangers! It seems like I’m meeting new challenges and changes every day, but I’ve been very blessed with wonderful women in my life to help me through all the challenges I face. Here’s my top 5 list of sources of pregnancy wisdom:

1. Mom – I don’t think I’ve ever called my mom as much as I do now that I’m pregnant. Every little ache, pain or question I have she’s always there with advice. I’ve especially enjoyed learning about what her pregnancies and labours were like. So far my pregnancy has been exactly like hers were. And seeing as her labours were short and babies small – which helps to ease my labour fears! Lots of advice has come from my mother-in-law and sister-in-law too, which has been very helpful and a new sort of bonding experience with both of them.

2. Baby Centre – I have the BabyCentre App on my phone, which gives me daily updates on my baby’s growth and development, changes in my body, and tips/advice for dealing with pregnancy. The website has also been a great resource for research questions, concerns, aches and pains, as they arise

3. Natasha / friends – Seeing as Natasha has already done this 5 times, and that she and I are doing the blog together, she’s been a huge source of pregnancy wisdom. Other friends have been there to offer advice as well, but none quite have the experience she does. Her friendship has been invaluable throughout this pregnancy!

4. Laureen – My massage therapist, who has two young children, has been a huge help. Not only do my massages relax me, but the long chats with her have taught me a lot about preparing for a baby and taking care of my body. The biggest I’ve gotten from her was the suggestion of a babysitter. We went to meet her babysitter this week, and we loved her! She lives in our area, is affordable and speaks Spanish! We are so thankful for that contribution from her!

5. Prenatal Class – this may seem like a given, but prenatal class has been a HUGE source of pregnancy wisdom! After only 2 weeks I feel like I’ve learned more about labour and delivery than I did from all of my reading and talking to other in the last 6 months! The best part of the class is that my husband is there with me, learning the same things I am (which isn’t as easy when it comes to talking to friends or reading a book). It’s been a great learning and bonding experience for us both and getting us very excited for the arrival of our baby!

Natasha


1.  My definite, number one source of pregnancy (and parenting) information is my mother, and my mother-in-law.  There are no two women who are more closely linked to the journey I am taking than these two, no one who could be a better predictor of how my pregnancies and babies are most likely to be, and no two women I trust more than these two.  Particularly when facing something I haven't faced before, it's nice to have someone to call and say, "did this ever happen to you?" or "how did you handle this?" 

2.  My doctors.  I only actually have one doctor, but my mother also works for a doctor, and the two are invaluable resources when it comes to any of my medical questions, pregnancy-related or otherwise.  I have the amazing (and rare) blessing of having a family doctor who delivers babies, and she has delivered every one of my five children.  We have an excellent relationship between her, me and my husband, and I am more confident in her medical advice than just about anyones. (As an aside, there is a possibility that I may not be able to have my GP deliver this baby because it is pregnancy #6 - I would really appreciate your prayers in this regard.  I can't imagine having someone different at the helm of my birthing team!)  My mother's boss is usually just a phone call away, and always very eager to give sound, level-headed advice that I trust.  So when I can't reach my own physician, he is the one I check in with.

3.  "What to Expect When You're Expecting".  Over the years my friends have given me a hard time when they see this book laying around my house.  "Do you really still need to read that book?" they often ask.  YES!!!  I devour it chapter by chapter when I am expecting!  It is full of practical pregnancy information, and there is a surprising amount of information you forget, even when it's your sixth time around. 

4.  Babycenter.com.  I have subscribed to Babycenter's weekly pregnancy updates since my very first pregnancy, and they are the first source I look to when I type a pregancy-related question into an online search engine. 

5. Other "grand-multips" (women who have had six or more babies).  Especially Catholic ones, and especially homeschooling ones. I am sort of in unchartered territory in average social circles, and I am fortunate enough to know a good number of holy, Catholic women who are the mothers of very large families, and have played a foundational role in my own family life, even before I got married.  I wish I had time to have weekly tea with any one of these women, but sadly this is not the case.  And yet, the small amount of time I do spend with them, maybe even only once or twice a year greatly affirms and strengthens me in my conviction that what I am doing is worthwhile.  I get so much encouragement when I ask one of them, "how did you make it through such-and-such" and they say, "oh boy, just by the skin of my teeth!" Because it shows me that these women are no different than me, and struggled the same way I do.  What I see and admire in them are the fruits of a lifetime of laboring for the good of their family, walking the same road I am walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment